Over the bank holiday weekend I decided to finally get myself into gear and finish off a little project that I started ages ago.
I have decided for the time being to focus my carving efforts on making wooden flowers of different types. This is my first attempt at it.
The flower and the base are made from a poplar stick I had in the garage and the stem is a reed from a reed diffuser type air freshener. I painted it with acrylics and gave it a finish with some Plasti-kote spray varnish.
I’m not entirely dissatisfied with how it turned out. It’s clearly recognisable as a flower at least. The paint job is a little bit thick and amateurish but wood finishing is a mysterious arcane art of which I haven’t even grasped the basics.
I plan to make more flowers over the summer of various types. I quite like that this pattern can be made from a stick so I’ll probably try some different designs made in a similar way. I have a few that are best made from cut timber as well so if I can fight off my natural laziness I should have quite a few things to share over the summer.