My soapstone carving class is over halfway finished now. I have completed my first little project that I posted about previously and started on another slightly bigger project.
My first project was a simple little mouse, that’s all done now and the results are below.
After the previous update I finished smoothing and shaping the body, drilled two small eyes and added a tail made from a leather cord which is glued into a hole I drilled in the rear. The final finish was achieved with a few coats of linseed oil. This brought out a range of colours within the stone which was much broader than I had expected.
My next piece will be an Eider duck, I have made some progress in the roughing out of the basic shape but I still have a lot of work to do. I am not sure I’ll be able to finish it completely by the end of the course but I hope to re-enroll for next term.
At the encouragement of the tutor I made a clay maquette of my Eider to try to plan the basic shape and proportions. I don’t think I did a very good job of it. I have almost no experience in clay modelling so the shape was very rough and the shape and proportion of the head is more than a little bit off.
My next class will be spent focusing on doing the bulk of the shaping around the body and making a start with roughing out the head. If it comes out looking ok and if I can re-enroll next term I had thought about making a base for the Eider to rest on with a carved wake pattern to represent the duck moving through the water. I don’t know how well this project will turn out but I’m sure it will be a good learning experience.
The next update will be after the final class of the course.